What is fair trade?
Fair trade is a term for a trading partnership that seeks greater equity in international trade by paying fair prices to producers in developing countries. It is also described as a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development.
The principles of fair trade are:
- Create opportunities for artisans in economic and social hardships
- Pay fair wages
- Support safe working conditions
- Empower artisans through education and job training
- Ensure the rights of children
- Respect and include cultural heritage in artisans’ work
- Improved social and environmental standards
- Secure the rights of marginalized workers and producers
To learn more check out my fair trade blog posts and visit www.fairtradecertified.org.